top of page

Here is a link that gives further information to owners from each state;


Other useful links are


Frequently Asked Questions

Here are some of the questions frequently asked by potential or existing owners.


I am interested in getting involved as an owner, how do I get a horse?


As a prospective owner you have three main ways to access the sport, 1. you can buy a racehorse privately or at one of the major auctions 2. you can claim a racehorse out of a race at any of the major racetracks 3. you can buy a yearling (1 year old) and develop it into a racehorse.


Where will my horse be trained & raced?


Melander Racing is based in Wind Gap, Pennsylvania. I utilise the four major racetracks on the east coast, Yonkers Raceway, The Meadowlands, Harrah's Philadelphia & Pocono Downs, all four tracks are within 100 miles of the barn. I also have racetracks at Freehold, Tioga Downs & Monticello in close proximity to allow racing opportunities for certain horses.


Can I talk to Jenny about my horse?


Yes, call or text Jenny on 561-376-6242, if I am unable to answer I am either on the training track or at the races so leave a message and I will call you back as soon as possible. Alternatively you can email me at


How much does it cost to claim a horse?


The claim price is dependant upon which track you claim at, Harrah's Philadelphia the minimum claim tag is $10,000 and the higher levels are at $25,000. At Pocono Downs the minimum claim tag is $5,000 with the ceiling at $30,000. Both tracks race there $10,000 claimer class for approximately $8,500 in purses whilst their $20,000 claimer class race for around $16,000. At Yonkers the minimum claim tag is $12,500 and during the summer months this class race for $11,500 in purses and Yonkers maximum claim tag is $30,000 to $40,000. At the smaller tracks such as Monticello, Freehold & Tioga Downs the minimum claim tag is $4,000 whilst the maximum claim tag is around $12,500 to $15,000. These three tracks don't race for the same high purses. Most tracks enforce that any horses that are claimed at that track must continue to race there for at least 30 days and within the state for 60 days. This varies from track to track. A $35-40 USTA transfer fee is payable on every successful claim.


Do I receive regular invoices?


You will receive a fully itemised monthly statement, you can request statement via e-mail or regular mail. Monthly invoices are usually disperesed within 10 days after the end of the month. Generally veterinary fees and blacksmith charges are billed directly by the supplier.


Do I need a licence to race a horse?


Yes each state requires you to be licenced before your horse may be raced. There are links at the top of the page to various state commisions & also to Racing Licence who are very helpful for new owners.

Here is the link to the PA licence application:


If I can't get to the racetrack to watch my horse live, can I watch the race online?


Yes, most tracks have live streaming on their websites and also offer race replays on their website as well. There is also a subscription service at that offers live streaming & race replays for most tracks.

bottom of page